Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Tri - amped

  1. #1
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How many of you have your systems tri-amplified ? Just got mine up and running. Depending on volume level, it takes me a few minutes to dial the x-over and EQ in so it sounds just right.... but once I get it there it's worth it. I notice a difference in the audio of the concert DVD's I've been buying. The bigger bands seem to have better sounding discs.... (duh) and some of the smaller ones are downright awful. You can tell who had the $$ when it was time to record it.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did it also. The difference is like night and day.

    I tri-amped 2 Altec 414 woofers, 806/811 mid-range, and an EV T350 super tweeters per cabinet using a then 25 years ago Decoursey electronic crossover at 800Hz & 7Khz using Butterworth slopes of 12db/octave. I am using 2 Crown DC75A for the tweeter, and a Southwest Technical Products Tigersaurs(SWTP) 60 for the woofers

    RacerXtreme: can you please provide a description of your speakers, amps and any other associated hardware etc? I am particularly interested in what brand of electronic crossover.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    yep..im tri-amped as well. using a rane ac23b crossover. ive got 515b's in the 210's crossed over at 70hz from some kilomax subs in 28 cu.ft boxes. the highs are supllied through 1505's driven by 288-8k's. id like to go lower with the subs, but the rane has limitations

  4. #4
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    RKLee,

    I'm putting a new coat of flat black paint on the 210's today, but here's a fairly recent picture.

    Just add two freshly reconed JBL 2225's to the upper right cabinet.
    They were 8 ohm, but had them reconed as 16.

    If I wasn't spending so much money on my jet ski's right now ...........I'd have all eight woofers
    in there. But to be honest, that's so far overkill for my neigborhood it's not even funny. Four 15's
    is plenty for now. The horns on top are Peavey MB-1's w/ 12" Black widows in them.

    They recommend x-over points of 250Hz and 1.25kHz for the MB-1's.

    I've got 2 JBL 2360A horns w/ 2446j drivers in the upper (opposite) corners of the room. They have
    the ribbed JBL Titanium diaphragms in them. The ceiling is not tall enough for me to stack the horns
    on top. Seriously thinking about correcting that ...... but that's a lot of time and $$$. It would be
    worth it tho, because I could make the room bigger.

    2

    I have a 16 channel Yamaha 1602 mixer, a Rane AC23 electronic x-over, a BSR EQ, a couple of Alesis
    amps, an Adcom amp, a brand new Sony 100 watt receiver, several Sony and Kenwood CD and DVD
    players and receivers, and an SAE parametric EQ.

    Got four 1953 Altec 515's and one JBL 2225 that need to be reconed. Need to buy one more 2225.

    Anyone got one ?

    Got some Eminence (or EV ??? ........it's been so long I can't remember....) woofers in the bottom
    left 210. They're just in there till I get the other drivers redone. Also got 3 more JBL 2360A horns
    and 3 more 2446j comp. drivers. Only one of the three is working, so I need two more diaphragms
    to get all 5 JBL horns up and running.

    I paid $227.00 for 5 JBL 2360's and 5 2446j's.

    Still experimenting with crossover points and delay on the Rane AC23.

    It isn't the best stuff, it isn't the worst. It is what it is.

    For what I've got in it money-wise, it sounds pretty dam good and is incredibly loud.

    When I get older (soon....) and my body can't take the pounding of the jet skis,
    I'll probably devote much more time and effort to music.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How do I say this without coming across as (more of) a dick...

    I'd like to offer a suggestion without dissing you or your setup.

    The problem I see is those side-by-side Peavys. Nothing against the Peavys, I'd say the same thing if they were Altecs. Having 2 mids of that size oriented side by side has to have some real nasty effects. I also suspect it's why you have to keep adjusting your XO, you're seeking a "right" that just can't happen with that setup.

    You've already noted that a single pair of the 210s are "enough". I really believe that if you knocked the setup down to a single 210 pair, and single mid and tweet pairs, all tightly stacked sharing a vertical centerline, you'd be far more satisfied.

    I doubt that I'm the only one here that has bitten his tongue over this. You certainly don't have to believe it or change anything because of my suggestion. All I ask is you consider it for what it was intended...an attempt to help. forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 20, 2008 09:38 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree w/ you 100 percent, and I know exactly where you're coming from.

    But, ....... I've owned them for ever (seems like......) and from time to time
    I may pull this stuff out and use 'em outdoors for somewhat larger audiences.
    The only reason that these cabinets are stacked as they are is to save space.

    I want to raise the roof for a 12' ceiling and make the garage 8' wider. Maybe 10.

    And the trump card for me is I think it looks cool. It's excessive and I like that.
    When people walk in my garage for the first time, they get that "holy **** " look
    on their face. I love it............Makes me smile. forums

    So while it has it's faults...... and I'm tending to agree w/ you about the Peavey's....
    it is what it is and don't have a lot of $$
    in it and that makes it fun.

    You're right tho, the hardest part to dial in is those Peavey's. Sometimes they're killing
    me and sometimes it's hard to see what they're adding.

    We've got a nice ping pong table out there now
    and it's a blast 2 play w/ the kids.

    And we jam.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 20, 2008 11:56 AM: Message edited by: RacerXtreme ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thx for taking it as intended.

    I understand your reasoning too. Cool is cool. Can't tell from the pic, but maybe you could rearrange and still have the best of both worlds. (Keeping all in sight, but only 1 stack in use)?

    You'll know when things are "right" when you can follow Rane's setup procedure to the T and it works. After that, all you'll need to adjust each session is the master volume.

    If you can manage a rearrange, you'll likely find the improvement in performance is every bit as cool and impressive as the visual aspect, maybe more so. forums

    At least I finally had the nerve to get it out of my system. I decided the point of the forum being a place to help each other outweighed any possible hurt feelings. You're a good sport, thx.

    (That doesn't mean it would be "helpful" pointing out what a dick I am...I know it, you know it, so does everyone else...)

    Brad forums

  8. #8
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey....no offense tanken, I know exactly where you're coming from.

    I've got a little over 2 grand in all of it.

    When you drag the 210's out and bolt on the wings it's quite a sight.

    The Peavey's were basically free so I had to try them.

    Even if I add the cost of the new Yamaha MM6 keyboard, and the guitars and amps......
    I still don't have a lot invested for the amount of fun we get in return.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 20, 2008 11:49 AM: Message edited by: RacerXtreme ]</font>

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    RacerXtreme: Nice setup.

    Where do you folks get enough room for some 210s. I would be out of the house in a "New York minute,(ie right now, this instant)" if I brought a set of 210s indoors. I would say that the most I would want to bring indoors would be A7s.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This stuff is in my (detached) 20' by 40' garage.

    If it was an attached garage there's no way my wife would tolerate it. I'm sure it would rattle the house.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.